Course Duration ± 16 Hours
“The Data Literacy Fundamentals course teaches participants to understand, work with, and communicate data in a meaningful way.“
The 2-day Data Literacy Fundamentals course enables participants to understand, work with, and communicate data in a meaningful way. The course covers fundamental data definitions and concepts. With this information, participants learn how to use data in a responsible way. To achieve this objective, the course focuses on key aspects of data literacy, such as data collection, data analysis, data visualization. After completing this course, participants are better equipped to make data driven decisions.
Throughout the program, participants gain a deep understanding of the importance of data literacy. They learn how data enables every business, and what the benefits of data-driven decision-making are. Additionally, the course covers ethical discussions. Especially in machine learning and artificial intelligence, organizations need to be familiar with the risks and challenges of new technology. The data literacy fundamentals course introduces participants to these important topics.
The course starts with an overview of fundamental data concepts. What is data exactly? How is it stored? What determines data quality? Participants learn how data is collected and stored in organizations. They become familiar with terminology like structured data, unstructured data and metadata. And more importantly, they learn why these differences impact the collection and storage of data.
The second part of the data literacy fundamentals course focuses on working with data. Participants learn how to collect, interpret, and analyse data. In this process, it is important to understand key concepts about data provenance and data quality. To make a compelling argument with data, the data needs to be trustworthy. For this reason, participants need to understand if their data can be trusted.
In addition to understating their data, participant also need to communicate about heir data sets. The most effective way to communicate with data is through data visualization. Consequently, the course covers essential data visualization and data storytelling techniques. With these techniques, participants learn how to communicate with data effectively.
The last part of the program covers how data is used in modern organization. Participants learn the fundamentals concepts about data governance, data management and data privacy. With this understanding, they can understand why organizations make certain decisions. With this in mind, participant will also learn about the benefits and restrictions of technology.
By the end of this course, participants have a strong understanding of data literacy, and will be well-prepared to use data to make informed decisions. By participating in this program, they gain the necessary skills and knowledge to collect, manage, analyze, and visualize data. Additionally, they are able to communicate data insights more effectively.
Course Learning Objectives
The learning objectives of the data literacy fundamentals include:
- Understanding of basic data concepts and terminology, such as data types, data structures, and data quality.
- Ability to read and interpret data visualizations and reports.
- Familiarity with basic data analysis techniques, such as descriptive statistics and data grouping.
- Knowledge of data governance and data privacy best practices.
- Understanding of how data is used in decision-making and problem-solving.
- Ability to communicate data findings to non-technical stakeholders.
- Knowledge of the different data sources and how to access them.
- Understanding of data ethics and its importance.
- Familiarity with data tools and technologies, such as spreadsheets and data visualization software.
- Understanding of data management and data governance, and their importance for data literacy.
The Data Literacy Fundamentals course is an introductory course for individuals that don’t have a technical background. The target audience for the Data Literacy Fundamentals course includes:
- Non-technical professionals who work with data in their daily tasks such as business analysts, marketers, salespeople, and managers.
- Individuals who want to expand their data literacy and knowledge to improve their career opportunities.
- Students and recent graduates who want to develop their data literacy skills to better understand the job market and improve their employability.
- Individuals who want to develop data-driven decision making skills in their personal or professional life.
- Professionals working in fields such as healthcare, finance, and government, where data literacy is becoming increasingly important.
- Anyone who want to develop a basic understanding of data literacy and improve their data-driven decision making skills.
Participants to the Data Literacy Fundamentals course will receive the following study materials:
- 16 hours of instructor-led training and exercise facilitation
- Learner Manual (excellent post-class reference)
- Participation in unique exercises designed to apply concepts
- Sample documents, templates, tools and techniques
- Access to additional value-added resources and communities
Data Literacy Fundamentals Exam
This course positions learners to successfully complete the Data Literacy Fundamentals certification exam. The exam consists of 40 multiple-choice questions. Participant have 60 minutes to answer 26/40 questions correctly (65% pass mark). APMG-International administers the examination and certification process on behalf of the Enterprise Big Data Framework Alliance.
Detailed Course Outline
Introduction to Data Literacy
- Overview of data literacy and its importance in today’s business world
- Understanding data concepts and terminology
Data Collection and Management
- Collecting and storing data
- Data quality and data cleaning
- Data warehousing and data lakes
Data Analysis and Visualization
- Basic data analysis techniques
- Introduction to data visualization and common tools (Excel, Tableau, etc.)
- Creating basic charts and graphs
Data-Driven Decision Making
- Understanding data-driven decision making process
- Identifying key metrics and KPIs
- Creating data-driven reports and dashboards
- Hands-on experience working with real-world data
- Applying data literacy concepts and techniques to a case study
Ethics and Privacy
- Understanding the importance of data ethics and privacy
- Identifying and mitigating data risks